follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, December 29, 2004

    A Serious Interlude

    I'm no stranger to death. I've seen my father; all my grandparents; various aunts, uncles, and cousins; and other assorted friends and acquaintances pass on. It's one of the drawbacks of getting older. Death, at least my own, doesn't particularly scare me. (As Woody Allen once said, I'm comfortable with the idea of my own death. I just don't want to be there when it happens.)

    But the deaths of others scare me - my mother, my sisters, my friends, Lesa. But worst of those would be the deaths of either of my sons. And that is what hits the hardest of the pictures of the tsunami devastation I have seen. The pictures of parents carrying their dead children, or mourning same.

    I realize it's a tight time of year - I know we are pretty well stretched to our limits and beyond. But if you can spare something, think about giving to one of the various relief organizations helping out the victims. (A number of relief organizations can be found listed here.) And if you can't do that, send some thoughts to the deity of your choice for these folks.

    No comments: