follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, December 23, 2004

    My Turn For Musicals

    Matt over at Oasis (see link to the right) has a post up about musicals, particularly Phantom, said post inspired by Greenman at Crap Flinging Monkey’s (see link to the right) phantom posts. (It’s Phantom day in the Iowa City Theatre blogosphere! Kris, where’s your Phantom post?) At the end of the post, he lists his top ten favorite musicals. As I am always willing to be a follower, here’s my top ten:

    1. Jesus Christ Superstar – Andrew Lloyd Webber must have put every ounce of talent he had into this one, cause God knows (there’s an Elvis Costello joke there for those in the know) he hasn’t put an ounce of talent into anything else he’s done. If he had never done another musical after Superstar, I think he’d be highly regarded – well, highly regarded as something other than a hack.

    2. Les Miserables – See what I said above and change the name “Andrew Lloyd Webber” to Cameron Makintosh. And how is it that the Producer (as opposed to The Producers) is more famous for this show than the authors?

    3. Guys And Dolls – Great songs all the way through. This show is almost always idiot-proof. I’ll get back to you in about a month to let you know if it is always idiot-proof.

    4. Music Man – Harold Hill is on my list of parts I would kill to play. Again, great song after great song. And it’s set in Iowa!

    5. Rent – I wish we could have gotten to find out if Jonathan Larson had what it takes to be a long term talent or if this was his Superstar.

    6. Kiss Me Kate – The story is slight – probably the worst of the shows on this list - but the songs are great. C’Mon – it’s Cole Porter!

    7. Cabaret – A dark, dark tale with great music.

    8. Producers – Max Bialystock - another part I would kill to play. I had an opportunity to see this in the Chicago tryout. I still kick myself that I didn’t go.

    9. Chicago – Hey! Another part I would kill to play! Billy Flynn. (Do you see a theme?)

    10. Company – Yeah, it’s Sondheim. But the music is both funny and touching, and the story of a man who’s starting to realize that maybe it’s time to grow up hit me when I first saw the show.

    4 comments:

    Matt said...

    Interesting list! We should do a list of top ten plays next.

    Me said...

    I started my Christmas shopping today, and found out I'm cooking the turkey, stuffing, etc. In Illinois. I'm a tad frazzled.

    I'll do a phantom post once I've recuperated from holiday insanity.

    Kimmah said...

    I went to see Broderick and Lane in their last run of The Producers...what a show!

    Kim

    Lars said...

    damn, nailed it. Those are 10 really good shows! We're doing The Music Man this summer in Story City, IA...come on by for auditions.

    Jesus Christ Superstar, I'd kill to be in that.

    Les Mis, I'd kill for that too.

    Guys and Dolls I have been in, just not the right part.

    Music Man I was in, jsut not the right part, so I'm goign to try again this summer.

    RENT - hello, I've seen it 10 times.

    Kiss Me, Kate - love to be in that too dammit.

    Cabaret is fantastic, and I'd love to be in it.

    Producers, great material, love to be in that too and

    Chicago - I'd love ot play Amos when I get older.

    Company is good..of course, everyone that knows me knows my obsession with Sondheim...but I'd wager that Into the Woods and Sweeney Todd are more of my favorites.

    Good work though!