follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, December 15, 2004

    Baseball Musings

    The great thing about blogging is that you can be anything you want to be. Today? I am a baseball blogger. If you don't like it, get your own blog. Of course, I think everyone who visits here has there own blog, so I'm too late with that advice. But still.

    ESPN is reporting that the Red Sox, frustrated in their attempts to grossly overpay a 32-year-old starting pitcher who is past his prime and starting to decline, are going to be successful in their attempt to grossly overpay a 29-year-old shortstop who is past his prime and starting to decline. That’s right, Edgar Renteria is going to Boston.

    I can’t say that I am either surprised or disappointed. This move was obvious the moment the Mets signed Pedro. And I can’t help but think that Cards GM Walt Jocketty is probably breathing a sigh of relief right now, that same sigh you breathe when you are finally outbid on an eBay item you had no right bidding so high on in the first place. I mean, the four years, $32 million the Cards offered was too much. The four years, $40 million the Sox are offering is insane. So good luck Edgar – glad you could make it back to the Series with the Cards. You won’t be getting there anytime soon with the Sox.

    But, coupled with the losses of Womack to the Yankees and Matheny to the Giants (and I really, really hate to characterize those as losses, considering the money involved), what do the Cards do now? My thoughts on that – tomorrow.

    (I’m really getting into this continuing posts thing.)

    No comments: