follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, February 08, 2005

    Musical Tag Part Whatever



    Via Teresa, via Greenman, via Matt, I've been tasked with answering the following four questions about my musical taste.

    1. Last CD you bought

    Just bought a bunch last week – I got the soundtrack to the Buffy musical (I previously owned it, but it got lost and I needed to replace it), The Very Best of Tom Rush: No Regrets, Elliot Smith’s From A Basement On The Hill, and Dazed and Confused Volume Two – More Music From The Movie.

    2. Last song listened to before this message

    No Regrets by Tom Rush off the aforementioned The Very Best of Tom Rush: No Regrets. No Regrets is the song I bought the cd for – pure impulse buy on my part. I was walking to the register at Best Buy and it was just sitting on a DVD end cap – someone must have been walking around with it and then sat it down. So I picked it up. It’s an incredibly sad song about lost love, but an incredibly beautiful one as well.

    3. 5 songs you listen to a lot or mean something to you.

    This is a tough category. I’m sure if I answered this in a week, I’d have some different answers. No order to these, or no more order than just the order they come to me.

    How Do You Like Me Now – Toby Keith

    I found the lyrics on a break-up song site, but that’s not accurate. The man and woman in the song never dated, and what little relationship they had was over long ago. No. This is the single greatest F-U song of all time, passing the Tubes classic Talk To You Later for that distinction. Here’s the middle section:

    When I took off to Tennessee
    I heard that you made fun of me
    Never imagined I'd make it this far
    Then you married into money girl
    Ain’t it a cruel and funny world?
    He took your dreams and he tore them apart.

    He never comes home
    And you’re always alone
    And your kids hear you cry down the hall
    Alarm clock starts ringing
    Who could that be singing
    It’s me baby, with your wake up call!
    How do you like me now?

    How do you like me now,
    Now that I'm on my way?
    Do you still think I'm crazy
    Standing here today?
    I couldn’t make you love me
    But I always dreamed about
    Living in your radio
    How do you like me now?


    Tennessee Plates – John Hiatt

    I’ve got to include some Hiatt. But what song? For now, this tale of two losers who decide to steal one of Elvis’ cars

    She saw him singing once when she was seventeen
    And ever since that day she's been living in between
    I was never king of nothin' but this wild weekend
    Anyway he wouldn't care, hell he gave them to his friends

    Well this ain't no hotel I'm writin' you from
    I’m in the Tennessee prison up at Brushy Mountain
    Where yours sincerely's doin' five to eight
    I’m just a Stampin' out my time makin' Tennessee plates


    He Didn’t Have To Be - Brad Paisley

    A song about being a stepfather:

    I met the man I call my dad when I was five years old.
    He took my mom out to the movie, and for once I got to go.
    A few months later, I remember lying there in bed.
    I overheard him pop the question,
    And I prayed that she'd say yes

    And then all of a sudden, oh it seemed so strange to me.
    How we went from something’s missing to a family.
    Looking back all I can say about all the things he did for me,
    Is that I hope I'm at least half the dad he didn't have to be


    I hope and pray someday Andrew feels this way about me.

    Tough Little Boys - Gary Allen

    And about being a father. Let’s see if I can make Matt cry!

    Scared me to death when you took your first steps,
    I'd fall every time you fell down.
    Your first day of school,
    I cried like a fool and I followed your school bus to town.

    Well I didn't cry when old Yeller died
    At least not in front of my friends.
    But when tough little boys grow up to be
    Dads they turn into big babies again.

    Well I'm a grown man and as strong as I am
    Sometimes it's hard to believe
    How one little girl with little blonde curls
    Can totally terrify me

    Well I know one day I'll give you away
    And I'm going to stand there and smile.
    But when I get home and I'm all alone,
    I'll sit in your room for awhile.
    Cause when tough little boys grow up to be
    Dads they turn into big babies again


    Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic - Police

    One for Lesa. My favorite love song of all time, and a song you absolutely MUST crank up as loud as possible when it comes on the radio.

    I resolve to call her up a thousand times a day
    And ask her if she'll marry me in some old fashioned way
    But my silent fears have gripped me
    Long before I reach the phone
    Long before my tongue has tripped me
    Must I always be alone?

    Every little thing she does is magic
    Everything she do just turns me on
    Even though my life before was tragic
    Now I know my love for her goes on


    4. Who am I going to pass this stick to?

    Uhm, since all my local blogging pals are taken, let’s pass this on to some OT friends

    Jolene

    Kimmah

    And, uhm,

    Pooh

    No comments: