follow me on Twitter

    Monday, February 21, 2005

    Hunter S. Thompson, RIP

    There was madness in any direction, at any hour. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle. That sense of inevitable victory over the forces of old and evil. Not in any mean or military sense – we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.

    So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high water mark – that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.


    Been my writing idol since high school. First person I ever read who understood that there is a rhythm to words and writing and reading that is as important to the writing process as the rhythm in music. I don't try to write like him, but I do try to incorporate the lessons I learned from him in what I write.

    No comments: