follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, February 01, 2005

    I Am Misinformed Part Duex

    So, apparently the PC has some length rule regarding letters. (Thanks Matt for pointing that out.) So here's the shortened version:

    I don’t feel misinformed about the original intent of the Englert. After all, I was the first secretary of the Englert Board of Directors. But don’t take my word for it. Here’s the Englert’s mission statement:

    The mission of the Englert Civic Theatre, Inc. is to own, maintain and operate the Englert Theatre as a community arts center and performance space, enhancing the vitality of Iowa City's historic downtown by preserving its last historic theater.

    The Englert Civic Theatre, Inc. will provide diverse programming, educational opportunities, and exposure to the performing and visual arts. Our focus will be to highlight the talents of local performers, artists, and ensembles.

    Mr. Kerchner’s statements indicate that his vision of the Englert is at odds with our original vision. Perhaps that original vision is no longer viable. Still, it would seem that the current Board would at least make an effort towards fulfilling that original vision before abandoning it for the vision of a Little Hancher. After all, abandoning that original vision means abandoning the people who shared that vision, and if the Englert chooses to abandon them, will it be any surprise if they in return choose to abandon the Englert?

    David Pierce

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Hey David,
    Guess what???
    I wrote a letter to the editor and they are going to publish it. I made the suggestion that the donors may want to send the money to local theaters rather then to the Englert.

    I even put a disclaimer at the beginning. This is not a letter from any board of any theater.

    Anonymous said...

    By the way.
    Sorry, I didn't sign my post. I'm so used to it being automatic.
    Ellen AKA Nelle