follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, February 19, 2008

    Dweeze's Fearless Oscar Forecast Part I

    Why is it a fearless Oscar forecast you ask? Because even if I miss every pick, nothing bad happens. I won't get mocked more by my friends; the good folks at Blogger won't yank my blog away from me. It's recriminations free predicting, baby!

    In this first installment, we'll get a bunch of the smaller categories out of the way. For these, I'm not going to list all the nominees, just the winners. I'm also going light on the witty commentary. (Curses to all of you who say I'm always light on the witty commentary.)

    Make-Up
    Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (It's really this or Norbit, and you know that ain't happening.)

    Original Song:
    "Falling Slowly" Once (The three Enchanted songs cross each other out and no one liked August Rush. That leaves this song, from a film almost everyone loved.)

    Original Score:
    Ratatouille (Course, if No Country is going to dominate the evening, it will begin to happen here.)

    Sound Editing:
    Ratatouille

    Sound Mixing:
    Ratatouille (Everyone loved the film, but there are no awards to give it after Animated Feature - so it will sweep these.)

    Film Editing:
    Into The Wild (One of the few chances to give an award to a film a ton of people thought would be up for the major awards - I wouldn't be surprised to see Bourne win this, though.)

    Costume Design:
    Across the Universe (Because it's the best damned film of the year, and because it didn't get any other nominations, this is my sentimental pick, though we all know Sweeney Todd will take the statuette.)

    Art Direction:
    Sweeney Todd

    Visual Effects:
    Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

    Cinematography:
    The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (I actually saw the three major contenders here, and the film with the awkward title should win this hands down.)

    That's it for now. Tune in tomorrow for more fearless predictions!

    No comments: