follow me on Twitter

    Friday, March 17, 2006

    The Chicks Are Alright

    The Dixie Chicks have a new album coming out in May. (Does anyone even call them albums anymore? Is that a word that automatically dates you? New CD? New release? Anyway…) The first single was released to the Web yesterday, and it’s great. Absolutely great.

    Now, I generally don’t factor in someone’s politics when I decide whether or not I like their music. I was a Chicks fan from the moment I heard Wide Open Spaces. Their political stances after the invasion of Iraq neither increased nor decreased my liking for their music. (Similarly, while I can’t stand the song Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue, the politics behind it, or some other statements he has made, I still like Toby Keith and I still think How Do You Like Me Now? is one of the best songs released in any genre in the past ten years. But I digress.) Nonetheless, I would be lying if I said that their political stances didn’t increase my appreciation for the Chicks as people. The new single, I’m Not Ready To Make Nice, increases that appreciation. It’s a no-holds barred statement about what they experienced. Here’s a sample from the middle section

    Made my bed and I sleep like a baby
    No regrets and I don’t mind saying
    It’s a sad sad story when a mother will teach her
    Daughter that she ought to hate a perfect stranger

    And how in the world can the words that I said
    Send somebody so over the edge
    That they’d write me a letter saying that I better
    Shut up and sing or my life will be over?

    I’m not ready to make nice
    I’m not ready to back down
    I’m still mad as hell and I don’t have time
    To go round and round and round

    Click over to MSN and listen to the song here. It’s not very countryish – not countryish at all, if you ask me.


    No comments: