follow me on Twitter

    Monday, January 24, 2005

    Will Kenyon

    Will Kenyon passed away this weekend. He only lived a matter of months.

    This means nothing to you. It should mean nothing to me. Every day, thousands of infants die around the world. What’s the death of one more? How many other deaths were in the paper that I read about before or after I saw Will’s obit?

    Well, in an abstract way, the death of any of us diminishes all of us. Donne was right about that. But that’s not why I’m writing. That’s not why I was affected. It means something to me because I felt I knew him.

    Will’s father, John, wrote about Will’s all too brief life on the blog he maintained. (See link at right.) Go there. Read from the start. If you do, you’ll know why I’ve got tears in my eyes right now writing this. It’s a heartbreaking story, especially if you have kids of your own. It’s the chronicle of a brave life, of a tough life, of an all too brief life. It’s the story of Will’s life, and it’s a story worth reading, even if you know the end. I’m sure it’s a different read for you knowing the end, but it’s a powerful story nonetheless.

    It’s also a story about how the Internet has changed things. Yeah, I didn’t see the death notice on the blog first. I was reading through the Sunday paper yesterday and saw it there. But the punch I felt when reading the obit was directly attributable to the blog. I would have recognized the name of the parents without the blog. I’ve emailed with Will’s dad before on theatre publicity stuff when he was with the Gazette’s brief Iowa City paper. So the name would have registered. But it would have been meaningless without what John was able to do. It was a way for him to keep distant relatives updated. I’m sure it was also a way for him to release some of what he went through by writing it down and sharing it. It might also have been a way for him and Mary (Will’s mom) to draw strength, knowing they were getting support from all over the world, from friends, family, acquaintances, and strangers. And maybe, maybe, in some unknown way, we sent some strength Will’s way as well. If the death of any of us diminishes all of us, couldn’t the opposite be true? Couldn’t enough positive force from all of us enable any of us?

    So say a prayer today for John and Mary as they deal with the loss of Will. Say a prayer for Will too, as he finds a new home and a new purpose in that place we all get called to someday. Hug your kids, your parents, your significant other, yourself. Live your life as well as you can, despite the odds, despite the problems and challenges. Put a little love into the world, and maybe in so doing, if we all do it, we can send some energy to support someone who might need it. It’s worth a shot, right?

    No comments: