follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, December 09, 2004

    Got Some Crap - Wanna See It?

    I won’t go into the origin of that phrase – but we owe Greenman for creating it. Aw hell, I’ll go into the origin. A couple of years ago, after we had decided on what the shows would be for the following season at ICCT, some of us were trying to think up a theme, something we could hook our advertising on. Greenman suggested “Got Some Crap – Wanna See It?” We didn’t use that one, but it would have been appropriate.

    Anyway, I discovered Done Deal through low culture (link to the left), a humor site you should be visiting. Done Deal is a daily round-up of movie deals – either full scripts, spec scripts, or just pitches – that were sold the day before. It’s a fun read on several levels. First, there is the “Hey, that would be cool to see” level, when you come across a listing that actually sounds worthwhile. There’s also the “OMG” level, when you come across a listing that is so bad, so unreal, that you just rub your eyes. Finally, there is the “So that’s where they come up with so much crap” level, as you see the blinding similarity from pitch to pitch. You can also roam through the archives to see things that actually made it to the screen. All in all, worth the effort, if you love movies.

    And I love movies. I just don’t get to see them in the theatre anymore. But when the boys are older, look out cineplex!

    I should also restart my account at the HSX. HSX is an online game where you invest fake money in movie and star futures. You are given a base level of cash which you spend creating your portfolio. You can buy and sell stocks in movies or stars. The final payoff is the amount a movie makes in its first week of opening, so the trick when investing in movies is to try to pick winners. But you need to pick sleepers too, cause the obvious winners cost more to invest in. I did this a lot a few years back – not sure why I quit. Maybe we could form a league? Matt? Greenman? Kris? Any OTers? Is there interest?


    3 comments:

    Matt said...

    I am interested.

    Dweeze said...

    We need to all start investing at the same time. I've been looking at the site to see if you can set up a group. I imagine you can, but I haven't found out how yet.

    Dweeze said...

    Found how to create league. Once you open an account, you can create a league just by adding user names.